Our current Sêr Cymru funding is to enable the Network to continue, focussing on collaboration and capacity building in their areas. One of our key aims is to link researchers and the wider engineering research community to encourage new opportunities for funding, interdisciplinary working, and/or commercialisation opportunities.
The ERNW Catalyst Fund is available to researchers in engineering and science who can apply for up to £1500 towards the organisation and facilities costs for meetings arranged to enable collaboration with other Welsh Universities on a potential research topic related to the Network. The funding is also available for meetings with European collaborators for potential Horizon Europe projects.
You may apply anytime throughout the year to the Catalyst Fund. If you have already received one award, this must have been spent and your impact report received before applying again. Unsuccessful applicants must wait 4 months from the date of rejection before applying again.
All of our grants must have an impact on stimulating collaboration between other Welsh Universities and research organisations or proposals for Horizon Europe funding with European collaborators. You will need to describe how your project outputs aim to meet that objective. The research area can be any theme in Advanced Engineering and Materials. Our themes are broad ranging and include -
- Semiconductor materials
- Photonics systems
- Non-destructive testing
- Digital manufacturing
Our funds available for grants are very limited and we will prioritise applications with the potential for wide collaboration and/or on a novel theme.
Please note that we only accept requests for grant funding from researchers at our partner institutions.
- Your project must be designed to stimulate collaboration between you and at least two other Network partners.
- You must be a researcher employed by one of our partner institutions.
- You must sign and accept our standard Terms and Conditions .
- By making an application you are agreeing to our Privacy & Data Protection Policy.
What we will not fund:
- We do not provide retrospective funding, i.e. work that has been completed by the time of our decision.
- We do not fund projects that do not stimulate collaboration with other partners.
- We do not fund projects that fall outside the Advanced Engineering and Materials theme.
- We do not accept applications for overseas projects except where part of a Horizon Europe proposal.
When to apply:
You may apply for a grant at any time. The Steering Group meet twice a year but procedures exist to give approvals between meetings.
What happens to your application:
Once you have submitted your application via email, you will receive an acknowledgement.
We will assess all acceptable applications on a case by case basis.
We aim to make a decision on all applications within 1 month of the application date.
We will let all applicants know the outcome of their request via e-mail.
How to Apply: