NRN AEM STEM Outreach - Inspiring the Young Generation
We believe that exposing STEM activities through an outreach programme will open up opportunities and further engage youngsters in STEM education. We have been in collaboration with schools, engagement events and local science base organizations to ensure that we inspire and encourage a future generation of scientists, engineers, physicians and mathematicians.
We are actively engaged in publicising Engineering and Science in Wales to as wide an audience as possible and promoting STEM careers to aspiring scientists and engineers. Cutting edge research presentations are delivered within our Distinguished Lecturer series whilst the wider appreciation of the role of Engineering and Technology within Wales is promoted through public events such as the National Eisteddfod. We maintain close links to a number of Campaigning and Promotional bodies such as Athena SWAN, CaSE, Techniquest and Science Made Simple.
Some of the programs in which we have participated:
- National Eisteddfod 2017, Anglesey
- Swansea Science Festival 2017
- Super Science Saturday, part of British Science Week at National Waterfront Museum, Swansea
- Lab in a Lorry, Swansea
- MicroTAS 2016, Dublin, Ireland
- Year of Light Event, North Wales
- Hidden Worlds Exhibition, North Wales, Interactive science for all the family!
- School of Engineering STEM ambassador Training programme, Cardiff University
- iSchool of Engineering with 6th form students from multiple schools
- Sully School, Vale of Glamorgan, inspiring primary school children
- Teilo's High School, Llanedeyrn, engineering activities with the year 7 students
- Techniquest, Science of Me event (the science of your body), open to the public
- Surrey University, Electronics Skills Foundation Summer School
"At least 200 visitors participated in our hands-on session, including young children. The laser marking and engraving session was very successful on the day. Many of them were saying ‘wow’, that is amazing’ when they first saw how laser marking works"
Dr. Liyang Yue